Birmingham Athletic club history

The Birmingham Athletic Club was established in 1955 by a group of local residents interested in developing a family club centered around athletics and social events for the membership.

During the late 1950's, squash facilities existed in Detroit, but none near the Birmingham-Bloomfield area where Fred Matthaei and other founding BAC members resided.  Many of the founders were members of the downtown athletic clubs, but they wanted a place to play during the weekends and evenings that was closer to home and accessible to their families.

In 1956, Mr. Matthaei purchased property on Maple Road and spearheaded the effort to recruit friends and families in the Birmingham-Bloomfield area to help develop his concept of what the Birmingham Athletic Club should be.  While the clubhouse was originally built in 1960, the BAC has greatly evolved from its early days when it consisted of a cabana, pool and two tennis and squash courts.  The BAC is now host to several thriving racquet programs including squash, tennis, paddle, a top-tier MICSA swimming program, fitness center, and dining and banquet facilities.

The vision of the founding members continues to be relevant today, and has resulted in the Birmingham Athletic Club being recognized as one of the finest suburban racquet clubs in the United States.  We are proud of our strong tradition and look forward to a bright future.

For more information about the club, or for information on becoming a member, please contact General Manager, Paul Spencer.